2019 Federal Election Info


I get heaps of questions about voting and the upcoming election. So to make sure everyone is on the same page, here's all you need to know when it comes to voting in this year's election.

The Federal Election has been called for May 18th.

Under Australian law, all eligible Australians are required to vote in elections. This means if you're an Australian citizen, you're 18 years or over and you have lived at your address for at least one month, you must vote or pay a fine.

You must be enrolled to vote in elections in Australia. To enrol to vote, click here. To update your address, click here. To check your enrolment, click here. Your vote is powerful, so make sure you're enrolled and have your details up-to-date by the 18th of April.


What to do if you're away on election day.

If you can't make it to a polling place or you're outside your electorate on election day, you have a number of options to vote.

Postal voting

Anyone is able to vote by post. All you have to do is fill out and submit the application on the AEC's website - they'll send you a postal voting kit for you to post back instead of voting in person. You must apply for a postal vote by May 15th and your vote must be completed and witnessed by May 18th.

Apply for a postal vote here.

Early voting

If you can't make it on the 18th but you'll be able to find time in the weeks leading up, you're able to vote early. Early voting will be open from April 29th.

Early voting locations will be public on the AEC's website closer to the 29th.

Voting outside of the electorate

If you're going to be outside of the electorate you're enrolled to vote in, but within the state of Victoria you're able to vote at any polling booth.

If you're voting interstate, you'll have to vote at an interstate voting centre.


Assisted voting

If you're unable to vote without help, you're able to nominate someone to help you vote or have an election official assist you.

Electors may seek help if they're

  • Elderly
  • Have a disability (including visual impairment)
  • Illiterate
  • From a culturally or linguistically diverse background


Can I be removed from the electoral roll?

No - it's compulsory for Australian citizens 18 years and over to enrol and vote. Once enrolled, your name and address is added to the electoral roll.

However, there are special enrolment options. If you're going overseas indefinitely or permanently, you can apply to have your name removed. If you believe having your address appear on the electoral roll puts you or your family at risk, you can apply to be a silent elector.

If you're elderly or disabled, you are still required vote and cannot be removed from the electoral roll.

However, if you have an objection to someone's enrolment, for example if they are of unsound mind, you are able to fill out an objection for to have them removed from the roll. If a person you know has dementia and you do not believe they should be on the roll, it is appropriate to fill out an objection form here.